8.14.2005

An Oedipus Wreck

Like all good epic heroes, I have a tragic flaw...

There are two things about me that my home friends [The Tenacious Ten] keep harping on. The first is this: I have a seeming inability to lose an argument. Even if I know that I am wrong, I can still think of enough reasons to make them concede. Especially if it is something scientific; then, they stand no chance. Like, if the Atom could be overtaken by a laser pointer with red light [in the visible spectrum], then UV light [which has a higher energy than visible light] would kill him. And so on.

The flaw, however, is my extreme [X-TREME] tendency toward gullibility. Although I may not be the kind of person who would look up the word "gullible" in a dictionary, I do believe almost anything that my brother or boyfriend says.

Case in point:

The other night, Joey and I were listening to his Warped Tour 2004 Compilation in preparation for the Warped Tour 2005 Experience. A song came on by one of the few [read: one or two] hip-hop/rap groups that make it on the tour, usually towed by some rock/punk/whatever band on the same label. The song was catchy enough, and I asked Joey who sang it. "Captain Rapper and the Homies," he replied.

In my head, that was spelled "Captain Wrapper and the Homies," which I though was a nominally interesting name for a group. "Really?" I inquired, and he just looked at me. Laughed.

"No."

So last night, he got in my car to go to my apartment, and he was so excited. "Captain Wrapper and the Homies have another song on this compilation," he exclaimed, "And it is awesome!"

"What is the band's real name?" I asked.

"Lieutenant Rhymes and the Thugs," he answered.

"Really?" Again, he looked at me.

"Did you not realize that I just used synonyms for all the words in Captain Wrapper and the Homies?" he asked.

Actually. I didn't.

In case you were wondering, the band is Gym Class Heroes, and the song is "Taxi Driver." It is awesome--see if you can figure out why!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home